Manages legal business function and staff within an assigned area. Provides legal advice and assistance throughout the company, its regional offices, and subsidiaries across the Middle East. Performs a full range of legal services and maintains a diverse and heavy caseload.
- Provides general legal support for the company, its regional offices and subsidiaries across the Middle East.
- Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. Provides general supervision to other attorneys and staff.
- Manages outside counsel retained by the company.
- Provides Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel with legal opinions that evaluate matters that have a substantial bearing on the conduct of the company's business.
- Carries out company and Legal Division policy.
- Advises company management and staff on various legal matters based upon assigned area of responsibility, which may include, but is not limited to, government regulation, personnel and benefits matters, environmental concerns, global intellectual property protection, and in all other matters necessary to protect the company's assets; shields the company from unacceptable risks and assists in achieving its corporate goals.
- Seeks out areas for improvement in the performance of his or her team and the team’s processes, and drives any necessary changes.
- Provides input into formulation and implementation of strategy, objectives and policy for his or her team or the Legal Division, as applicable, ensuring alignment to the company’s business goals and objectives.
- Seeks to inspire his or her team by communicating the strategy and objectives of the Legal Division and the company, managing individual performance, coaching personal development, attending to individual wellbeing, and developing appropriate succession plans.
- Provides training to legal staff and employees of the company on contract positions and processes and policies developed to protect the company from risks while enhancing profit potential.
- Maintains acceptable levels of knowledge on developments in the law as these affect the company's business.
- Negotiates contracts with customers and business partners on behalf of the company.
- May interact with government officials and regulatory authorities on behalf of the company.
- Maintains effective working relationships with all levels of management throughout the company, its subsidiaries and with external company contacts.
- May help advise and mentor other attorneys throughout the Legal Division.
- May manage projects or other attorneys in more than one country.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Superior knowledge of, and excellent ability to, interpret and apply general case, statutory, and common law to facts and legal instruments.
- Superior knowledge of judicial and quasi-judicial procedures.
- Superior knowledge of the law in assigned area of practice.
- Superior ability to express conclusions and arguments in a clear, timely, and logical manner, both in oral and written form.
- Ability to apply acquired knowledge of SAS’ approved legal positions and ability to apply those positions to solve problems and issues.
- Proven establishment of effective working relationships with middle and upper management at the company; ability to maintain effective working relationships with the public, and with other persons outside the company within the course of work.
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school or equivalent education obtained outside the U.S.
Typically requires fifteen years of experience as a practicing attorney with at least four years of experience as a corporate attorney, preferably with a for-profit corporation. Five years of supervisory experience necessary. If assigned to a specialty area of practice, at least four years of experience required in that area. Some litigation experience preferred.
Fluent written and spoken Arabic language skills would also be an advantage.