The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Account Industry Consultant provides strategic support to SAS US Government/Sales in achieving revenue targets by providing domain expertise; developing a government/industry/business viewpoint on SAS offerings and their alignment to goals specific to USDA outcomes and analytics, along with appropriate representation of that vision to internal and external audiences; and providing strategic impact to the sales vertical go-to-market plans. The Consultant will bring to bear valuable knowledge and relationships to maintain and expand SAS’ existing technology footprint at USDA while also creating new partnering and revenue opportunities for the future.
The USDA Account Industry Consultant’s responsibility is anticipating and predicting changes in the external legislative, regulatory, policy, and political environments in the short, mid and long term; including identifying opportunities for SAS and potential areas of risk in the government legislative, regulatory, policy and political realms. The Consultant must articulate SAS capabilities, but most importantly, must translate how SAS will uniquely position USDA for a variety of functional and operational benefits including accomplishment of desired policy outcomes, strategic or long-term programmatic sustainability across the 29 agencies therein.
The successful candidate will have advanced skills and high-level experience in policy related to the 29 agencies within USDA, outcomes, analytics, and/or information technology, and can communicate well but has the ability to help government agencies solve complex big data analytics problems. The candidate must be easy to work with and have a passion for the work. He/she will provide strategic guidance, advisement and directives to internal and external stakeholders, and will execute on certain functions directly, recognizing the importance of serving as an industry/domain expert in a support role.
- Provides direct industry/business domain sales support for USDA.
- Provides guidance and insight to internal and external stakeholders to develop quality analytics to help drive USDA systems improvement.
- Stays abreast of federal policies which drive the development and usage of analytics at USDA.
- Leads the government agency-facing roles of the organization and provides strategic support to pre-sales/technical elements; involved in all aspects of the sales cycle.
- Participates in activities that demonstrate SAS’ industry experience and leadership. May publish industry articles and white papers. Speaks at internal and external industry events. Develop workshops to educate sales/marketing team.
- Identifies industry trends and emerging issues and defines SAS’ position regarding these trends and issues.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to customers at the highest levels of management and decision-making.
- Participates with senior management to identify and establish objectives, assignments, and goals in accordance with SAS strategic plans; assists in targeting specific customers and business partners to promote industry sales and marketing initiatives.
- Works closely with sales staff, sales management, and marketing staff to ensure successful positioning of industry solutions and that a consistent message is communicated to our customers and/or business partners.
- Identifies competitor advances in the market.
- Identifies sales support resources required to deliver appropriate SAS solution design.
- Assists with providing market-driven information for future product direction using industry expertise and direct interaction with customers, prospects, analysts, and other external resources.
- Builds credibility and trusted advisor relationship with customers including high level influencers, policymakers and decision-makers.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Bachelors’ Degree, preferably in Agriculture, Public Policy, Public Administration, Business, Computer Science, MIS, Engineering, or related discipline. Masters, Graduate or Doctorate degrees are considerable plus.
- 8 (or more) years of experience working in the Federal Government industry, experience facilitating large government programs with multi-agency or multi-entity coordination or supporting sales efforts for complex integrated systems.
- Experience presenting to government leaders and elected officials.
- Demonstrated industry relationships and credibility with ability to present to all levels of an organization.
- Excellent analytical and creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently, or as part of a team.
- Strong project management and facilitation skills.
- Ability to understand and translate complex technical and business information to internal/external audiences with varying depths of knowledge regarding technology and public policy.
- Public speaking experience.
- Ability to relate current industry issues and trends to SAS offerings.
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
- SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience.
- Resumes may be considered in the order they are received.
- SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process.
Want to stay up to date with SAS culture, products and jobs? Follow us on LinkedIn