We are seeking a Sr Industry Consultant - Power and Utilities Innovation to leverage extensive industry expertise and networks to design and build new field engineered advance analytics solutions and provide domain support to drive revenue growth. In this role, you will create and deliver credible and unique domain driven viewpoints to differentiate SAS in the market.
- Conduct internal and external ideation activities (workshops) to create a continuous pipeline of Breakthrough Initiatives (BTIs).
- Employ the Energy Solution Innovation Factory framework to develop and apply criteria to evaluate potential BTIs and recommend those for further incubation .
- Lead the incubation activity by applying skills in critical thinking, offering and business development, value proposition creation, customer segmentation, and engage with targeted customers through Voice of Customer (VoC) to validate BTI hypotheses and overall market acceptance.
- Design VoC; understand segmentation; understand value elements critical to customers; calculate value equations; target value propositions to customer segments.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate the value of the identified BTI in the customer centric terms to cause customer to choose the potential SAS offerings based on value delivered.
- Design and prototype computer model simulations of power systems and conduct independent studies and research encompassing advanced analytical techniques.
- Develop Proof of Concept customer proposals by engaging necessary functional areas and lead the development of the business case.
- Establish and promote the use of metrics to improve program effectiveness; Use structured processes to manage programs and projects.
- Identify and secure necessary partnerships to close critical gaps, share investment risk and overall increase the viability and attractiveness of the BTI.
- Collect information relating to target markets, target customers, current and potential competitors from multiple sources and synthesize into clear understandable insights that support superior decision-making.
- Strong ability to support market research projects, generate energy and utilities market insights, and tie these insights to actionable business development recommendations.
- Proactively mine/analyze available data sources to further team understanding, develop hypotheses/identify insights.
- Provides direct industry/business domain sales support through sales calls, customer visits and presentations contributing to new revenue generation.
- Responsible for sales tool development, including use cases and proof of concepts.
- Coaches the sales force on industry focused account strategies and leads the sales organization with new account penetration strategies. Involved in all stages of the sales engagement.
- Develops and maintains relationships with partners, key consultancies, and system integrators to establish focused and effective strategic teaming arrangements.
- Develops industry specific sales strategy that enables the SAS sales force to establish SAS as the key industry analytics partner. Activities include the following: identifying industry trends and sources of major disruption in the industry, establishing strategic vision and value propositions based on SAS offerings, and articulating a solution capability at the C-level. This sales strategy will address what to sell and how to sell; and will identify any gaps in SAS’ existing offerings that need to be addressed.
- Supports thought leadership activities including articles, whitepapers, blogs, speaking engagements and involvement with key industry organizations.
- Supports sales enablement through sales and partner training programs.
- Leads customer engagements (e.g. solution/domain enablement, discovery, value quantification, best practices) in support of pre and post sales activities.
- Builds credibility and trusted advisor relationship with customers.
- Participates in business process discussions and improvement sessions.
- Articulates product capabilities into terms of customer business context.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Highly Innovative Mindset.
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Electrical Engineering (Power Systems).
- Power Systems Simulation and Modeling Experience.
- Wide utility industry network.
- Minimum of 10 years of Experience.
- Whiteboarding and Value Chain Needs Identification Skills.
- Customer Communication Skills.
- 360 degree thinking, Culturally Competent, Empathy, Adaptability, Intellectual Curiosity.
- Travel 50% or as business needs require.
- Location: Cary, NC Preferred; US also considered.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s / Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of 10 years of experience in power system planning, engineering and operation for electric utility clients is required. MBA preferred.
Preferred Knowledge and Experience:
- Knowledge and experience in distribution and transmission planning and operations, integration of renewables, power system analysis, including load flow, dynamic stability, voltage stability, short circuit, transfer limits, electromagnetic transients, and economic assessments, System impact and expansion studies.
- Discuss technical and commercial subjects with customers based on strong communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written).
- Understand utility business issues and drivers. Articulate services/solutions/recommendations.
- Understanding of electric utility delivery system operations, such as distribution network, substation system, protection and control operation, associated regulatory requirements.
- Study and develop highly complex business/engineering/system solutions of electrical system and conduct independent studies and research encompassing advanced analytical techniques.
- Evaluate competitors and regulatory environments.
- Maintain awareness of state-of-the-art technology and market trends affecting utilities and services and recommend responsive actions.
- Knowledge of optimization methods, statistical analysis and business cases development.
- Experienced in various Power System simulation tools: CYME, SYNERGI, OpenDSS, MATLAB, PSS/E, PSLF, TARA, DSATools (PSAT, SSAT, TSAT, VSAT), DigSilent, PowerWorld, GridView, PROMOD, ASPEN, Toolbox (Simulink, Control System, etc.).
- Knowledge of the following technologies and relevant vendor solutions is preferred in the utility ecosystem: distribution management systems, electric vehicles, energy storage, distribution automation systems, micro-grid, and distributed energy management systems, transactive energy.
- Evaluate multiple business models to result in the most competitive BTI offering and the most attractive financials for SAS.
- Equivalent combination of education, training, and relevant experience may be considered in place of the requirements stated above.
- The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience.
- We’re the leader in analytics. Through our software and services, we inspire customers around the world to transform data into intelligence. Our curiosity fuels innovation, pushing boundaries, challenging the status quo and changing the way we live.
- We love living the #saslife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference. Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn’t about fitting into our culture, it’s about adding to it - and we can’t wait to see what you’ll bring.
- SAS looks not only for the right skills, but also for a cultural fit. We seek colleagues who will contribute to the unique culture that makes SAS such a great place to work. We look for the total candidate: technical skills, culture fit, relationship skills, problem solvers, good communicators and, of course, innovators. Candidates must be ready to make an impact.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status. SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Read more: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Also view the supplement EEO is the Law, and the notice Pay Transparency
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered in place of the above qualifications. The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience. Resumes may be considered in the order they are received. SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process.
Want to stay up to date with life at SAS, products and jobs? Follow us on LinkedIn