SAS is seeking an experienced Proposal Manager. In this role you will evaluate Requests for Proposal (RFP), Requests for Quote (RFQ), and Requests for Information (RFI) for strategic fit; participate in sales strategy decisions; coordinate the development and production of proposals in response to requests. You will work with the sales teams to develop and produce proactive proposals in support of qualified sales initiatives.
- Understands and applies proposal development processes and methodologies.
- Assists sales team in identifying appropriate members for proposal response team.
- Manages the proposal response effort including all meetings necessary during proposal response process.
- Develops proposal outline and proposal response project schedule.
- Serves as liaison for support resources, internal and external, involved in the proposal development effort.
- Ensures all deadlines are met both internally and externally during the response process.
- Maintains project files for each opportunity.
- Works directly with account executives, sales managers, consultants, technical resources, legal professionals, and other internal resources, e.g. printing and mail services team members as required to complete and submit the proposal.
- Ensures proposal fully complies with customer requests and that the information provided is thorough and accurate.
- Conducts post-proposal evaluations, as time permits, to assess customer satisfaction and identifies opportunities for improving the proposal process.
- Develops and produces proactive proposals in support of qualified opportunities to ensure that sales teams’ communication with their customers reflect professionalism and competence.
- Reviews solicitation documents and creates proposal outline prior to kick-off call. Identifies red flags within the solicitation.
- Communicates changes or new information to the team and the impact of those changes on the response.
- Ensures that identified win themes are addressed within proposal documents.
- Acts as the central point of communication for the proposal response team.
- Uses appropriate tools (i.e., Qvidian, WebEx, Lync, SharePoint, etc.) to ensure that all team members are kept abreast of relevant issues and activities.
- Evaluates proposal development processes and methodologies and recommends process improvements as appropriate.
- Reviews and evaluates opportunities to determine appropriateness, strategic fit, and probability of moving accounts forward.
- Assesses the level of previous contact and involvement that the sales team has had with the prospective customer to determine probability of success.
- Performs other sales support activities related to assisting sales teams acquire new business and maintain renewals, including supporting value assessments, PowerPoint presentations, standard proposal templates, and
- Provides Account Executives with information to help them influence customer RFPs.
- Serves as primary point of contact with partnering organizations throughout proposal development.
- Maintains boilerplate responses within repository.
- Coordinates milestone reviews.
- Identifies gaps within draft responses.
- Works on special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of proposal development methodology and sales and marketing principles
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
- Strong MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills
- Project management skills
- Skill in organizing, conducting and facilitating project meetings
- Ability to work and learn independently and as part of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain strong, positive internal and external client relationships
- Ability to travel
Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise.
Works independently; receives minimal guidance on day-to-day work and new projects or assignments.
A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization; resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. This job is the fully qualified, career-oriented, journey-level position.
Bachelor's degree in Technical Communication, Journalism, English, or other relevant discipline
Five years of proposal management experience in a technical environment or a combination of two years proposal management plus three years technical/grant writing experience.
SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Read more: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Also view the supplement EEO is the Law, and the Pay Transparency notice.
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered in place of the above qualifications. The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience. Resumes may be considered in the order they are received. SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process.
All valid SAS job openings are located on the Careers page at www.sas.com. SAS only sends emails from verified “sas.com” email addresses and never asks for sensitive, personal information or money. Should you have any doubts about the authenticity of any type of communication from, for, or on behalf of SAS, please contact us at Recruitingsupport@sas.com before taking any further action.