SAS® is seeking a Manager for our Justice and Public Safety (JPS) Technical Support Team which assists internal and external customers using, administering, configuring and/or troubleshooting SAS® software applications and solutions. This manager participates in and directs Technical Support Team structure, planning and policy decisions to ensure alignment with corporate technical support procedures. You will work with the broader SAS® JPS delivery teams to consult on project work related to new implementations and existing/legacy customer add-on services sold (such as escalated support, version upgrades, and custom programmed solutions). You will also interact with the SAS® JPS Sales and Customer Advisory Teams regarding industry specific expertise needed for selling and solutioning highly repeatable, upgradable and supportable SAS® JPS products and solutions.
In this technical role you, and your team, will focus on SAS® Justice and Public Safety (JPS) Solution offerings that allow criminal justice agencies to prevent crime by giving law enforcement the tools needed to proactively investigate open criminal cases and manage suspects, confiscated property, confidential informants, field reports, and intelligence. The SAS® products include new-to-market and legacy systems, such as SAS® Memex Platform and Viya® Visual Investigator (VI), Intelligence and Investigation Management (IIM), and Visual Analytics (VA). The team assists all JPS SAS® customers with questions and issues surrounding law enforcement software applications, specific application configurations and integrations to common third party systems while routinely using their SAS® and JPS domain knowledge to address application usage, configuration or coding questions and issues.
Typical work your team will perform: Application usage questions via phone, email or ticketing system, issue identification and research, integration/configuration code review and creation, defect remediation, root cause analysis with delivery and R&D as needed, updates to existing application versions/integrations, restructuring custom programmed solutions, defining best practice use cases and recommendations, installing upgrades, working with customers on complex solutions and issues, etc.
Special Projects: Partner with broader JPS leadership to research, define and document a minimum viable configuration of products offered to new and existing customers based on industry best practices and traditional use cases. Participate in the prioritization and solidification of functional configurations within the software while focusing on areas that will be used by the highest number of customers. Overall goal will be to have an “out of the box” system that is ready to provide value day one, will help decrease implementation times, and will improve salability stability, and supportability of all JPS products.
- Oversee support provided to multiple categories of domestic and international customers including end-users, programmers, IT staff and analysts.
- Diffuses customer situations that escalate. Actively sets and manages customer expectations during those escalation activities, both internally and externally, while striving to address all items in a timely manner.
- Considers customer experience and skill level while managing expectations for all calls and ticket creation.
- Coordinates with other groups/divisions to improve the quality and supportability of existing/future software releases and influences product direction.
- Evaluates proposed changes in application hot fixes and maintenance/new releases and confirms submitted issues are addressed before the solution is communicated to the customer.
- Establishes and maintains lines of communication with the SAS® JPS Professional Service Teams on standard and advanced software usage and configurations, and software Research and Development on design, reliability, and maintenance topics.
- Understands, and can communicate internally and externally, how features of existing and new releases can benefit users.
- Sets operational standards and procedures for the team. Ensures adequate staffing. Selects personnel to meet support needs.
- Ensures the quality of technical support provided and takes steps to improve it.
- Strategizes with team regarding responsibilities to the customer and their product/solution lifecycle.
- Monitors and hones the tracking/ticketing system and phone queue to ensure timely and adequate responses are given in areas of responsibility; adjusts staff responsibilities and workloads as necessary; and balances priorities against product direction, solution maturity and software release and implementation delivery demands. Provides leadership reports as required.
- Schedules, staffs and oversees active phone queue, team call order, daily assignments, and 24/7 urgent/Sev 0/1 on-call rotation, and participates as necessary. Assumes telephone duty, as/if needed.
- Applies knowledge of SAS® languages and procedures, as well as programming skills, to assist team members with customer inquiries.
- Builds expertise in SAS® language and programming techniques.
- Serves as the customer’s advocate within the company.
- Once COVID travel ban is lifted, may travel to customer sites to work collaboratively on technical issues and to solicit feedback on technical support services (~10% as needed).
- Mentors, trains, and manages the daily activities of a Technical Support team.
- Encourages and fosters individual professional growth, as well as teamwork among employees.
- Ensures staff members build new and additional skills by learning emerging SAS technologies.
- Sets performance goals/objectives for the team. Conducts performance appraisals and provides ongoing performance feedback to direct reports.
- Provides technical assistance and direction to staff.
- Serves as a single point of contact for questions about the software.
- May represent the company at customer sites, local customer forums, Global Forum, trade shows, and user group meetings, etc.
- Interacts with management counterparts in other departments/teams/divisions.
- Routinely interacts with and provides assistance to international technical support staff.
- Works with management to develop, prioritize, and assign objectives and responsibilities to individual resources.
- Suggests, manages, and implements special projects to assist Technical Support, users, or other departments/teams/divisions as warranted.
- May author/review/edit software usage and problem notes.
- Reviews product documentation for technical accuracy, consistency, and user’s point of view.
- Keeps current on issues and trends in the industry.
Essential Technical Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Criminal Justice, or other related discipline.
- Seven+ years of experience in law enforcement, criminal justice, public safety, or SAS® software/systems support, sales/customer advisory, consulting, or software research and development.
- At least four years of formal supervisory or management experience in a customer-facing technical support, R&D or consulting role is preferred.
- Experience/familiarity with some or all of the following:
- Cloud: Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, etc.
- Operating Systems: Linux (Red Hat, SUSE, or Centos) preferred, Windows, etc.
- IT Automation Systems: Ansible, etc.
- Container Orchestration: Kubernetes, etc.
- Micro Services: Bare OS, Docker, etc.
- RDBMS: Postgres, SQL Server, Oracle with ODBC, etc.
- Distributed Directory Information Services: LDAP, etc.
- Enterprise Systems
- Custom programmed/developed solutions
- Preferred work location: Cary, NC HQ, but open for remote-based work for the right candidate.
- We love living the #SASlife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference.
- Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn’t about fitting into our culture, it’s about adding to it - and we can’t wait to see what you’ll bring.
SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Read more: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Also view the supplement EEO is the Law, and the notice Pay Transparency
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered in place of the above qualifications. The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience. Resumes may be considered in the order they are received. SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process. This is a general expression of interest position. If you are a qualified candidate, you will be notified when positions aligned to your skillset are available.