Risk Industry Consultant – Data Science for Financial Services
Are you a problem solver, explorer, and knowledge seeker – always asking, “What if?”
If so, then you may be the new team member we’re looking for. Because at SAS, your curiosity matters – whether you’re developing algorithms, creating customer experiences or answering critical questions. Curiosity is our code, and the opportunities here are endless.
What we do
We’re the leader in analytics. Through our software and services, we inspire customers around the world to transform data into intelligence. Our curiosity fuels innovation, pushing boundaries, challenging the status quo and changing the way we live. The US Risk Business Consulting group within the SAS Risk Research and Quantitative Solutions (RQS) organization provides advisory and consulting services on projects in the areas of Expected & Unexpected Credit Loss, CECL, IFRS9, Regulatory & Economic Capital, Risk Scorecards, Model Risk Management, Market Risk, Credit Risk, Operational Risk, Liquidity Risk, ALM, Data Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, etc.
What you’ll do
As an Industry Consultant in the Risk Research and Quantitative Solutions organization, you will drive innovation of SAS’s portfolio of solutions for risk for banking initiatives. You will work closely with product management, industry consultants, pre-sales systems engineers, customers and R&D to define solution direction based on market and customer demands to continue the growth of our business. In addition, you will be responsible for demonstrating our solutions to customers, working on proof of concepts and assisting in the development of intellectual property aligned to specific opportunities with our customers. You will be responsible for providing direction on systems integration, and recommendations for solution deployment architectures.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to customers at the highest levels of management. Work closely with sales staff, sales management, and marketing staff to ensure successful positioning of industry solutions and that a consistent message is communicated to our customers and/or business partners.
- Demonstrate analytical leadership in positioning Risk Management, Treasury, Finance and Compliance solutions to customers.
- be able to demonstrate experience and executive presence to engage with senior executives. Be able to communicate technical and detailed analytical
- Ability to lead the deep dive in quantitative methodologies when discussing with quants and business leads.
- Assist in defining best practices for delivery and implementation of SAS solutions.
- Assess the functional and operational business needs of Risk, Finance and Compliance services engagements
- Explore and design creative new approaches to solving real business problems
- Lead functional assessments to understand and solution requirements for risk and compliance frameworks
- Support RQS Delivery Advisory practice in specific risk and finance solution implementation projects, contributing to the success of the delivered end-product and securing real life feedback to the SAS R&D teams.
- Management of relationships with partners, key consultancies, and system integrators to establish focused and effective strategic teaming arrangements.
What we’re looking for
- Hands on experience in quantitative modeling and data science e.g. risk scorecards, pricing, cashflow, hedging, etc. Deep knowledge of machine learning and AI.
- Minimum of 3+ years’ experience in Banking, Insurance and/ or Data Science/ Modeling within a financial institution or consulting firm
- Ability to travel at least 25% as business needs dictate
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to explain complex math and statistical concepts to an executive audience
- Experience modeling in SAS or other analytical tools like Python, R, etc.
- Preferably Graduate degrees in Statistics, Financial Math, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering, or any other field with emphasis of qualitative sciences.
- Location: Cary, NC HQ location preferred, but can sit anywhere in the United States for the right candidate.
The nice to haves
- Experience using and implementing machine learning models such as gradient boosting, random forest, decision tree, feature engineering, reinforcement learning or others.
- Ability to develop creative risk analytics solutions to complex problems, and to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- PhD in a quantitative field listed above.
- Additional risk domain knowledge– credit risk, credit decisioning, market risk, enterprise risk, and/or operational risk.
- Experience driving risk implementation teams in the financial services industry with specific focus on risk management applications and consulting services.
- Understanding of business functions in Treasury, Enterprise Risk Management, or Global Markets.
- Experience in quantitative modeling, risk scorecards, risk and treasury management e.g. credit loss forecasting, PPNR, counterparty credit risk, etc.
- Globally recognized risk certifications such as FRM, CFA, MBA Financial Engineering, etc. or equivalent experience.
- Experience in product management, pre-sales support, strategy, etc. in financial services and/or software industry, especially in risk management.
- We love living the #SASlife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference.
- Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn’t about fitting into our culture, it’s about adding to it - and we can’t wait to see what you’ll bring.
SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Read more: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Also view the supplement EEO is the Law, and the Pay Transparency notice.
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered in place of the above qualifications. The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience. Resumes may be considered in the order they are received. SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process.
All valid SAS job openings are located on the Careers page at www.sas.com. SAS only sends emails from verified “sas.com” email addresses and never asks for sensitive, personal information or money. Should you have any doubts about the authenticity of any type of communication from, for, or on behalf of SAS, please contact us at Recruitingsupport@sas.com before taking any further action.