As a Sr. Proposal Manager at SAS, you’ll evaluate Requests for Proposal (RFP), Requests for Quote (RFQ), and Requests for Information (RFI) for strategic fit and participate in sales strategy decisions. You’ll also coordinate the development and production of proposals in response to requests and collaborate with sales teams to develop and produce proactive proposals in support of qualified sales initiatives.
What you’ll do
- Understand and apply proposal development processes and methodologies.
- Assist sales team in identifying appropriate members for proposal response team.
- Manage the proposal response effort including all meetings necessary during proposal response process.
- Develop proposal outline and proposal response project schedule.
- Serve as liaison for support resources, internal and external, involved in the proposal development effort.
- Ensure all deadlines are met both internally and externally during the response process.
- Maintain project files for each opportunity.
- Work directly with account executives, sales managers, consultants, technical resources, legal professionals, and other internal resources, e.g. printing and mail services team members as required to complete and submit the proposal.
- Ensure proposal fully complies with customer requests and that the information provided is thorough and accurate.
- Conduct post-proposal evaluations, as time permits, to assess customer satisfaction and identifies opportunities for improving the proposal process.
- Develop and produce proactive proposals in support of qualified opportunities to ensure that sales teams’ communication with their customers reflect professionalism and competence.
- Review solicitation documents and creates proposal outline prior to kick-off call. Identify red flags within the solicitation.
- Communicate changes or new information to the team and the impact of those changes on the response.
- Ensure that identified win themes are addressed within proposal documents.
- Act as the central point of communication for the proposal response team.
- Use appropriate tools (i.e., Qvidian, WebEx, Lync, SharePoint, etc.) to ensure that all team members are kept abreast of relevant issues and activities.
- Assume a leadership role in evaluating proposal development processes and methodologies, monitoring standards, and recommending process improvements.
- Review and evaluate opportunities to determine appropriateness, strategic fit, and probability of moving accounts forward.
- Assess the level of previous contact and involvement that the sales team has had with the prospective customer to determine probability of success.
- Perform other sales support activities related to assisting sales teams acquire new business and maintain renewals, including supporting value assessments, PowerPoint presentations, standard proposal templates, and
- Provides Account Executives with information to help them influence customer RFPs.
- Serve as primary point of contact with partnering organizations throughout proposal development.
- Maintain boilerplate responses within repository.
- Coordinate milestone reviews.
- Identify gaps within draft responses and provides meaningful input regarding how to strategically fill the gaps.
- Provide leadership to the sales team to identify appropriate members for the proposal response team.
- Provide team leadership and acts as a coach to less experienced Proposal Managers.
- Provide training, as needed, to internal and external resources.
- Participate in professional organizations as a representative of the company.
- May serve as back up for department manager.
- Manage special projects as assigned.
What we’re looking for
- Bachelor's degree in Technical Communication, Journalism, English, or other relevant discipline
- Eight years of proposal management experience in a technical environment or a combination of five years proposal management plus three years technical/grant writing experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Needed
- Thorough knowledge of proposal methodology and sales marketing principles, and leadership skills
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
- Strong MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Skill in organizing, conducting and facilitating project meetings
- Ability to work and learn independently and as part of a team
- Ability to establish and maintain strong, positive internal and external client relationships
- We love living the #SASlife and believe that happy, healthy people have a passion for life, and bring that energy to work. No matter what your specialty or where you are in the world, your unique contributions will make a difference.
- Our multi-dimensional culture blends our different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Here, it isn’t about fitting into our culture, it’s about adding to it - and we can’t wait to see what you’ll bring.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status. SAS is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Read more: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Also view the supplement EEO is the Law, and the Pay Transparency notice.
Equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered in place of the above qualifications. The level of this position will be determined based on the applicant's education, skills and experience. Resumes may be considered in the order they are received. SAS employees performing certain job functions may require access to technology or software subject to export or import regulations. To comply with these regulations, SAS may obtain nationality or citizenship information from applicants for employment. SAS collects this information solely for trade law compliance purposes and does not use it to discriminate unfairly in the hiring process.
All valid SAS job openings are located on the Careers page at www.sas.com. SAS only sends emails from verified “sas.com” email addresses and never asks for sensitive, personal information or money. Should you have any doubts about the authenticity of any type of communication from, for, or on behalf of SAS, please contact us at Recruitingsupport@sas.com before taking any further action.